Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) Number 1

On my last post I filled you all in on how we started working with our fertility doctor and that he had suggested we combine Clomid with an Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) to try to get pregnant. This month, we did just that! On day 3 of my cycle I started taking 100 mg of Clomid and took it for 5 days. On day 9, I started using the home Ovulation Predictor Kit (OPK for short, which I will use for the rest of this post), and on day 10 I got a positive OPK, I called my doctor's office and they said I should come in that same day for an ultrasound. The ultrasound will show the size of the follicles on my ovaries, and if they are mature enough for ovulation. Follicles on the ovary are basically the eggs that could potentially be released during ovulation.

For anyone reading this blog who is struggling with infertility, and may use this same treatment method, be aware that this is not like the ultrasounds you see on TV. This is the third ultrasound I've had since we started all of this, and when I had the first ultrasound done, I was really thrown off. I thought I would go into the ultrasound room and they would squirt a bunch of junk around on my belly and roll the tool around and see what's going on....I was so wrong. It was a vaginal ultrasound... I didn't even realize that was a thing until all of this started. By this time in my cycle, I had 2 other ultrasounds previously, so I knew what to expect, but the very fist one caught me by surprise, and was very uncomfortable.

The ultrasound indicated that I had 1 mature follicle and 1 nearly mature follicle, which allows us to assume that I am likely to ovulate. This is great news!! The last time I took Clomid and had the ultrasound, I did not appear to be ovulating, so I was thrilled to get a positive this time. Since we knew I was ovulating, the nurse and I scheduled my IUI for the next day. Lee went in at 10:30 and did his thing, and I went in at 11:30 for the IUI. Thankfully, Lee waited around afterwards and came in the room with me during the IUI.

For the IUI, the sperm is inserted directly into the uterus through a catheter. For me, this part was painful and caused a large amount of cramping. Afterwards, I had to lay still for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes I was free to go and was allowed to resume normal activity. Because I didn't know what to expect with the IUI, I took the rest of the day off work, and I was sure glad I did. Afterwards I had some cramping and was kind of emotional, so I was glad to be able to go home and rest. 

After the IUI, I had to wait about two weeks before the clinic can do a pregnancy test. We scheduled my test for Wednesday, January 28th, and this is proving to be the longest two weeks I've had in a long time! I am writing this blog about 5 days after the IUI, and I have 8 days to go. I'm praying, hoping, and wishing everyday that this IUI results in pregnancy. Hopefully next week I will have good news!

You can read about the results from this IUI here.